z

Young Writers Society



Those Little Glass Slippers (5)

by Sela Locke


Well, she's back, for better or worse. I couldn't edit until I had feedback on the whole story anyhow. And stop asking questions that'll be answered later in the story! xD Well, you can, but they shan't be answered. Enjoy, if you possibly can.

My consciousness was dark; a swirling mass of faded colors and half-forgotten memories. Someone’s face swam slowly forward, focusing bit by bit… a man, dark-eyed, dark-skinned, and dark-haired. Voices spoke, but they lingered just beyond my power to hear, and so I contented myself with memorizing the regal points and sharp curves of his face, the exact color of those doe-like eyes.

“Quite so, Madame Tadstreet. The heat must have gotten to her – I’m simply sorry I could not have foreseen such an occurrence,” purred a man’s voice, apologetic and yet perfectly pleased with itself. My eyes opened of their own accord, and I sighed quietly as the blurs around me solidified into meaningful objects. What had happened? Why was I laid out upon one of the sitting room sofas, and where were those voices coming from?

“And so early into spring! Mariadelle is normally so hardy, I can’t imagine what could make her act so strangely!” Mother, I realized, must be speaking to Duke Warrington in the front hall. Act… strangely? What did— I remembered, thoughts disappearing, changing and sifting in the memory of my walk in the garden. I had kissed the duke… what had possessed me to do such an imbecilic thing?

“Wait… I think she might be coming ‘round. May I speak with her alone?”

“Of course, of course. You – naturally, Your Excellency,” spluttered Mother, and I heard the shh-shh of her slippers across hard floor, fading away into the distance.

I closed my eyes as the door behind me squeaked slightly on its hinges. There was silence again, silence so loud it buzzed in my ears and made it quite hard to feign sleep.

“You are not the best of actresses, petite un, and for that I am grateful. How are you faring, stranded on this dreadful little couch?” chuckled Duke Warrington, and I started as his cool fingers brushed my cheek.

“As well as any woman can, milord. And what of you – how long have I been gone from this, the waking world?”

I opened my eyes to find the duke standing but a foot from me, that satisfied smirk resting easily upon his lips. “A few minutes, no more. Here, milady, let me help you,” he said, and, taking both my hands in his own, pulled me up beside him. “Your mother was most upset when I brought you inside, hanging limp in my arms.”

My deep breath turned to more of a scandalized cough, as I imagined being held in his arms at all – it did not help to remember I’d been unconscious at the time. “Your Excellency, I wonder if—”

“You want me to take the ring off for you, aye?”

“Y-yes,” I said, pacing over to the bookcase. I was not so much interested in reading a book as in putting some respectable distance between us.

“I’m sorry, milady, but I cannot assist you there,” he said, and I glanced over my shoulder to find him gazing thoughtfully out the window.

“Cannot?” I said quietly, studying the ring on my finger. “Or will not?”

I didn’t hear a sound, but after a moments’ silence, I felt a hand on my back. From under my lashes, I chanced a glance of his face, and the smile thereon was answer enough. Just as he had in the garden, he took my hand in both of his, one thumb stroking the round ruby-diamond.

“I can make it do different things, you know. Four options in all, if memory serves,” he murmured, looking up from the ring to smile at me. “I could release it from doing anything but coming off. I could have it track you, so I would always know exactly where you go, or remind you not to do certain things. And I could have it punish you for disobeying my orders.”

I mouthed the word punish, and frowned confusedly up at him. “What do you mean, milord?”

“But isn’t that my greatest weapon? Fear of the unknown. Perhaps that will keep things in order while I’m away.” He twisted his finger around a stray strand of my hair, admiring the different shades of brown. “And now, to make myself very clear.”

I would have tried yet again to move some ways from his unfathomable brown eyes, but he had my hand in his and a long wisp of my hair twined around his finger. Trapped so easily, I thought with a frown.

“You will not try escape attempts of any sort,” he said, and the ring flashed once, as though the bloodred ruby were on fire. “You will not do anything to harm or remove this ring, or your hand. You will not even contemplate ending your life.” The ring flashed once, twice, thrice, and then seemed to tighten the slightest bit before the flame within the jewel faded, and it looked, again, just as any ordinary gold-and-silver band should.

“Farewell, mince un, until such a time when our paths may cross again. Soon, let us hope.” He kissed my hand, letting the ‘cocoa’ strand of hair slip off his finger, and swept hurriedly from the room.

Simple days passed, ones in which I did little and thought less – and the latter mostly because the only things that could have occupied my mind after the meeting with Duke Warrington were strictly forbidden. Every time I attempted to think of an escape plan, the ring on my finger would suddenly flare to a blistering heat, so that, in an effort to stop the pain, I switched to safer pastimes.

It was not until one cold night long after sister and parents had gone to their beds that I began to truly worry about the future. I lay in the dark and silence, drifting along the fine line between the sleeping and waking worlds, and I thought. But the thought was too much of a dream to truly be a thought, and too much of a thought to truly be a dream, and so the ring did not punish me for it.

I could see the escape in my mind, clear as a bright summer’s day and quite easy – in fact, almost absurdly so.

Father always left the back garden gate unlocked, although if I had ever asked why, I did not remember his answer. That same back gate led into the small strip of forest between Therien, Ape’rafer’s capital, and the neighboring town, Earlkone. If I slipped off one night shortly after the rest of the household went to bed, I would make it to Earlkone, with luck, by dawn. After that… work, good honest work would be my objective, and much better it would be, when compared to being Duke Warrington’s wife.

As I thought of the duke, I was led off to wonder why I was so very against marrying him. Perchance it was merely because he could never replace the childlike, naïve love I had saved for my prince – no matter, I thought stubbornly, I shan’t ever love him. I did not feel, then, that I would ever change my mind, not about that.

The night passed slowly, and I half-slept, watching through glazed eyes as the shroud of night was pulled from my bedroom. The thin mist that had settled over my east-facing windows during the cold night slipped away as the sun, his face as fierce and bright as ever, rose up over the Hahnor Mountains.

“Milady,” came the sudden but muffled voice of Liza, “Milady, please let me in. There’s a visitor for you and he says he won’t wait long – oh, milady, quickly!”

I was not much used to being ordered about by anyone, much less my own maid, but the frantic urgency in her voice caught my attention, and I grudgingly left the simple comforts of a warm bed to allow Liza’s entry. I pulled the door open, and she shot inside so quickly I nearly mistook her for a green-and-blue bird. “Milady, do shut the door, and get into your things! Oh, how disgraceful!” she moaned, pulling the first gown she could find from the bureau as I gazed confusedly at her.

“Liza, what in Ciergden’s name are you going on about?” I mumbled, but she was already pulling off my nightdress and forcing me into a corset and shift.

“Royalty!” she said darkly, as I slipped my arms through the long sleeves of an evergreen gown. “Royalty, in the manor, in the front hall, no less! And me, opening the door and calling for Madame Tadstreet as if the whole house were burning down!”

I knew that in the state she was in, I would get little sense out of the poor girl. Taking a long, steadying breath, I sat down upon the unmade bed. “Liza, do calm yourself. I can’t understand a word you’re saying, you know.”

Her voice died to an unintelligible mutter, and I realized that I would have to discover from someone else why I must rush downstairs in the earliest hours of the morning to greet an unknown man – royalty?

When she had finished braiding my hair, she twisted it into a bun on the top of my head and steadied it with a rather lot of hairpins. I could feel her hands shaking, but dared not comment for fear she would begin to bewail what seemed to be her misfortune; or was it mine?

“Thank you, Liza. Stay in my chambers until I fetch you, or send one of the other servants to do so for me. I do not need unsteady hands spilling tea or dropping dishes,” I said, but smiled comfortingly, as though to smooth the sharpness of my words. The moment I reached the stairs, a strange calm settled over me, and if I had been worried or afraid of what I would find at the base of the stairs, I was no more.

I could almost feel the cool tile beneath my slipper-shod feet, as I stepped down from the last scarlet stair. The front hall was empty and quiet, and I began to wonder if perhaps Liza had mistaken – was this mysterious ‘royalty’ the product of a scatterbrained girl and the appearance of a new milkman at the door? I smiled slightly at the thought, straining my ears for any nearby sounds.

The dining hall, I soon found, was empty, as was the sitting room and, somewhat halfheartedly searched, the gardens. I heard no voices and saw no strangers wandering the manor – but then, I did not look very hard in the first place.

I had just turned to thoughts of a somewhat lamentable fashion – why had Liza woken me for this? – when I heard a voice behind me, soft and amused.

“You don’t always greet your guests like this, do you, Mademoiselle Mariadelle?”

I glanced over my shoulder, and had to regain my composure before I lost it. An older, more lined Duke Warrington stood behind me, leaning against one of Mother’s favorite elms and with a rather unfamiliar smirk pulling at his lips. With one elementary guess, I knew who stood before me.

“Your – Your Majesty, I am so sorry, my maid—”

“You were forgiven before you erred, my dear. I am afraid most of my wife’s ladies-in-waiting have such a tendency to quite lose their minds in pressing situations.” He chuckled, but it was a kinder sound than the way Duke Warrington laughed, a chuckle that had seen the world and found it all vaguely amusing, in a sad sort of way.

“Is there anything – anything I can do? You must be tired, after such a journey,” I said, breathless, just barely managing to keep my hands from fluttering uselessly ‘round me like Mother’s did when she was flustered.

“No, Mademoiselle, I only stopped in for the slightest moment. You see, my brother, His Excellency Duke Warrington, has always been something of a bother to me. He has little to do, and most so just now, as he waits for the opportune time to marry you. Instead, he harries me for a war to fight or an uprising to crush, a tax to raise or lower, and often as not, I find it hard to quiet him. The day he arrived home from his journey to Ape’erafer, he told me of your enchanted ring, and how now you could not escape him any more than you could stop the sun from setting at night.” He paused a moment, smiling at me in sympathetic way. I looked away, and felt suddenly as though I might cry at the miserable thought of such powerlessness.

“And so, I have decided to give you both a challenge.” The man set a finger on the ruby of my ring, murmuring something under his breath. “You may now contemplate and attempt escape from the manor, although his order concerning death is still upon you.”

I stared at him in disbelief, in utter surprise, but he merely smiled his sympathetic smile, saying, “The ring itself, my dear, is cheating. It has been a tradition in Jharrim for centuries, this ring-giving. The prince, or one of his very close male relatives, would take this ring – this very ring – and give it as a gift to the woman he wished to marry. After she put it on, only he or one he was very closely linked to could control it, could control his future bride, and the ruby-ring she wore. A dirty trick, I assure you, but it has worked for us, and I apologize for allowing him the use of it at all.”

I opened my mouth to reply, to retort, to demand why he had to choose me, and not some other, less lovesick nobleman’s daughter, but no sound came out, no words could truly take form in my mind.

“Do enjoy yourselves, won’t you?” he said, and winked once.

And then King Orendell of Jharrim strolled away, through the open door just to his left, and into the house. After a moments’ pause, I fancied I heard the sounds of horse’s hooves, clattering away down the road.

I smiled faintly; I was free.

Constructive compliments -- er, er, criticism, please. All these words of praise are going woefully to my head...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
336 Reviews


Points: 805
Reviews: 336

Donate
Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:02 am
Jas wrote a review...



I feel so akward writing all these questions and critizism now because I realized a bot too late that the questions wee all answered in upcoming chapters. *akward* Anyway (my obsession with anyways is starting to bother me), I once again love this, envy you...you know the regular.




User avatar
922 Reviews


Points: 42011
Reviews: 922

Donate
Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:22 pm
GryphonFledgling wrote a review...



This section was my least favorite. That said, it was still amazing...

1) It just sort of felt like it dragged. I mean, not a whole lot happened and it all happened step by step. I dunno... I didn't like the pacing of it.

2) Why is everyone suddenly speaking French? Honestly, I don't remember people speaking French before (aside from the occasional "madame"), but now it seems like everyone is using the French words, n'est pas? Why this sudden change? After all, this is all taking place in a fictional world, isn't it? Why would they necessarily be speaking French?

3)I'm confused as to why the king helped her. I mean, isn't he one of the people that arranged the marriage? I can't see why he would want to give her the option of running away. Also, if he disapproves of the ring, didn't he use it? If he doesn't want Duke Warrington to use it, how did the Duke get ahold of it in the first place? Why didn't the king lock it up? I found this rather confusing.

4) Why the fainting? It didn't seem like it served much of a purpose beyond not Mariadelle then not having to deal with the consequences of spontaneously kissing the Duke. It felt like kind of a cop out.

Still pretty awesomesauce. I look forward to more...

~GryphonFledgling




User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 1390
Reviews: 40

Donate
Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:35 pm
EllyMelly wrote a review...



Good Afternoon, Sela.

Whoa. So the Duke is a romantic, charismatic, evil-plotting, scandalous man? Is he not? And I can't believe Delle kissed him! I thought she hated him. Man, mixed emotions much.

The part with the other man came into the picture I couldn't tell who it was. It was a little confusing at first. So he's the brother of the Duke but is he also the king of the other kingdom also? I didn't get that part in the chapter.

Oh, did the Duke's brother take off the ring? 'Cause I didn't get that either.

Well, I'm planning to read the next part. Wonderful...

Melly




User avatar
1125 Reviews


Points: 53415
Reviews: 1125

Donate
Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:01 pm
StellaThomas wrote a review...



Dude... didn't know this was here! Should have told me right away...

I. NITPICKS

and I heard the shh-shh of her slippers across hard floor, fading away into the distance.


Why do they make that noise? Just a bit of a random noise is all...

petite un,


une, peut-etre? Elle est une fille, non? I'm not sure though... you probably speak better French than me...

“You will not do anything to harm or remove this ring, or your hand. You will not even contemplate ending your life.”


I can't remember... but those do seem a little bit dramatic now...

It was not until one cold night long after sister and parents


Are you missing a my?

“Liza, what in Ciergden’s name are you going on about?”


In whose name?

II. OVERALL

To be honest, at this stage, I'm just reading it for the story!

However, not a whole lot happened in this chapter, and it was so long since the last one I wasn't sure what exactly was going on. All the same, I did rather enjoy it, and I'm off to read the next one!

Drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella.




User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 825
Reviews: 20

Donate

User avatar
14 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 14

Donate
Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:51 am
Thai Food wrote a review...



I'm not sure how to feel about this. Oh wait, yes I do. Hark! I think I see writing below.

I'm going to be a kiss arse for about two seconds here and tell you that I envy your style so much I want to drink a gallon of gasoline and set fire to myself.

Anyways, this seems to be turning out very Taming of the Shrew-like in the way that Duke Warrington seems to want to er- break her, for lack of a better word. I'm not sure if that's what you should be aiming for.

The whole, "Why did you choose me?" idea is a little dull in my opinion, but may be an only option for a situation such as this. Keep it or leave it, I honestly don't care.

That one went a little quicker than the other chapters, but that's okay. Your descriptions are vivid and well-written. On my list of favorite writers, you are definitely uno on it.

-Mae X)
formerly known as
"Maelijah"




User avatar
150 Reviews


Points: 1639
Reviews: 150

Donate
Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:36 am
ChernobyllyInclined wrote a review...



Well, sorry that no one had much helpful advice. But they're right that you've done a good job.

Anyway, it looks like you've decided to make this solid romance, which is fine, but it means I won't be able to offer you much good advice. The stuff I said before tried to transfer this into non-romance land, but I suppose you decided to center on romance.

The only thing I might say would be that you might try to steer clear of victimizing your main character. Not that that isn't a device you can use, but it gets old after a while. And you might want to practice using another device to create tension.

Also, I think we need more explanation with the appearance of the King. Kings don't do stuff like that, unless they're Eugenides. And everyone knows what's wrong with Eugenides. So try giving a little backround or something.

Good, though. The technical aspects are all spotless. I like the structure, words, stuff like that. If you decide to edit, think about what I've said. But I would like to see where this is going, regardless of anything else, so add more!




User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 2063
Reviews: 37

Donate
Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:55 pm
lil-mizzkitty1 wrote a review...



OH MY GOD

WOW GREAT CHAPTER. I LOVE THE PART ABOUT THE RING IT GIVES A WEIRD TWIST TO THE

STORY. THE DUKE WARRINGTON IS EVIL. BUT ITS GREAT NOW SHE CAN RUN AWAY BY THE

WAY SO IS THIS CHAPTER THE END OF THE PRINCE AND HER ? OR IS THERE LIKE MORE TO

COME. I LOVE THE WAY YOU WRITE. YOUR CHAPTERS THEY JUST COME TOGETHER. CANT

WAIT FOR YOU TO WRITE CHAPTER 6. PM ME WHEN YOU WRITE IT.




User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 1857
Reviews: 28

Donate
Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:04 am
grimy89098 wrote a review...



:D awesome story, you've got me hooked now
what an evil ring...

anyways, will be interesting to see what happens to Mariadelle, now that she's free to run away

its funny though, cause it seems all the guys seem to be stuck up jerks :?

can you please PM me when you post the next part???

love your style of writing by the way

-grimy




User avatar
529 Reviews


Points: 30280
Reviews: 529

Donate
Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:35 pm
xDudettex wrote a review...



Hey again =]

I really enjoyed this!

I still love your writing style and I think the piece flowed really well.

I still feel so sorry for Mariadelle, but I'm glad she's been offered the chance of freedom.

I think the bit about the ring and how it's been used in the family was really creative :D

I'm still hooked and I can't wait to read the next part!

Sorry that this hasn't been a very constructive review, but I couldn't find any grammar mistakes - though that may be because I was so engrossed in the story :)

Looking forward to part 6!

xDudettex




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 23

Donate
Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:44 am
HopelesslyandIrrevocably wrote a review...



YAY FIRST TO COMMENT!
LOVE YOUR WRITIN GIRL!
keep it up! :) :) thanks for posting again! :)
-Maggie





The idea that a poem was a made thing stayed with me, and I decided then that I wanted to be an artist, not just a diarist. So I put myself through a kind of apprenticeship in writing poetry, and I understood even then that my practice as a poet was deeply related to my reading.
— Edward Hirsch